Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - other genre

FORCE 9's JAY M THE INTERVIEW Q&As

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Riddler

United Kingdom
31 posts
Riddler has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/10/22 :  07:49:31  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Riddler's homepage
FORCE 9's JAY M THE INTERVIEW Q&As

Where did it all start for you?
it started back in the early 90's when i was about 14/15, I used to buy vinyl all the time and went to a few partys and the dj was playing rubbish so i offered to bring my tunes and from there he offered me a job and from there i started to run my own nights and playing at other peoples events and here 17 years later im still doing the same but lucky enough to play at some of the biggest events in the uk and abroad.

Where did the name come from?
When i started i used to dj alongside my mate who was known as dj damage so i was dj brain and together we played as Brain Damage (shit name i know but i was young ), when i got a bit older and started getting more bookings i realised it was a shit name and one of my friends suggested just using my initials and they are J and M so thats how it came about, boring but true.

What gave you the initial push?
tbh ive never been one for realy pushing myself onto promoters i think ive just been lucky enough for people to hear me and enjoy what i do, i like my music and djing to do the talking and have never realy been one for pushing myself, although i think i should maybe do it a bit more but im just too ****in lazy.

Who would you say was putting on the best events at the moment?
there so many good events at the moment , in scotland my faves have to be Addiction, Fantazia and Hardball , Outwith Scotland i would say Bionic, Atmosphere, Totaly Lost It ,Uprising, Dizstruxshon , Fusion, Resonate all put on awesome events, there loads more too like the weekenders, htid events etc but thats the ones that stand out most for me. We have also held some pretty wicked Notorious events ;)

Which other countries have you played?
Aswell as all over the UK Ive played in Holland, Germany, USA, Switzerland and Spain.

What was the first event you ever played?
i realy cant remember my first proper gig i think it was a charity hardcore event in Dundee but i couldnt swear by that

What’s the best event you’ve ever played?
tough question as theres been so many I really couldnt pick one, although the weekend when we done a mini Force 9 tour of Germany and Holland was memorable

What was your first record you bought?
Father Abraham & The Smurfs - The Smurf Song

Out of all the tunes you have, which one does the business every time?
the one tune that hasnt left my record box/cd wallet since it came out is Push - Universal Nation

What's your favourite tune of all time, the ultimate classic?
i realy couldnt pick one theres way too many i could have 100 top tens

And when all the partying is over, how do you like to relax?
Im a big movie fan especially horrors and the old universal monsters stuff so i usualy chill watching a movie or have a Play on the PS3

How is the scene in your eyes at the moment?
i reckon the scenes going through some changes again people are fed up of the same oldstuff, my personal fave style that is hardtrance is enjoying some rejuvination at the moment so hopefuly next year it can take its well deserved place back in the forefront of the scene again.

How big is your vinyl collection? What is your opinion on CDJ's? (the pros & cons)
I have never counted it but if you have got a spare week or 2 your more than welcome to give it a go haha, i tried to start putting it upo on discogs but got through one pile of about 800 and gave up.
now CDJ,s i always fought against for years but the time comes when you have to give in and use them, mostly all promos i get now are mp3s and theres not a lot of labels doing vinyl promos nowadays, its also much cheaper and handier fro producers to roadtest tracks they have finished, i love being able to finish a track and try it out straight away.
I do hate the fact that anybody can be a dj now without putting in any hard work and without having any skills and knowledge, thay can just download from some dodgy site the latest tracks of the week and play them out.

The funniest thing that ever happened at an event?
Haha again too may to mention and most of them i cant say without getting someone into trouble ;)

Other DJs you rate?
A*S*Y*S, Pavo, The Scientist, MZone, Mark EG, Marc Smith, Devastate, The Prophet, Steve Thomas , Davie Forbes, Panic, The Viper
also love all the hardtrance boys who are helping push the sound at the moment, Wragg & Log:One, Iain Cross, JTB & Chuck E, Nick the Kid and Louk, Shock: Force and way too many more to mention

Who is/are your biggest musical influences in the world of music & why?
My biggest Influnes have Probably been my bro Marc Smith (Who is also the other half of Force 9 with myself) Steve Thomas, Mark Eg n Mzone and all the old german trance sounds from the likes of Gary D, Cocooma, Nostrum, EDM etc.

What are your feelings on the MC's?
I am not a big fan of mcs who think they are more important than the music I like mcs who know when to shut up, I like mcs like Si the Sigh, Ribbz etc who know how to compliment the music.

What do you do outside of the dance music scene?
I do a lot of design work but most of that is club related so I guess i dont really get much chance to get out of the scene

What advice would you give to up and coming DJs/Mc's/Promoters?
Dont be scared to be different and stand by what you love, dont try to copy other djs or mcs and have your own style, support your local events too as they are the backbone of the scene.

If you could stage an event anywhere, where would you choose?
If money was no object i would put a huge halloween event on in Draculas castle, that would be pretty cool either that or in space haha

How do you see the scene 5 years from now?
Id like to see it growing with less polotics and more open minded ravers and promoters who are open to doing different styles but i cant see that happening unfortunately

If you had a time machine what year would you go back to and why?
Id go back to 93 so i could experience GTO live at the rez again :D
Any shouts you would like to make?
ye rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr.
I wont say names as theres too many and i might forget someone but thaqnks to everyone for supportign me all these years and especialy to my missus who has put up with it for 16 years, luv ya all

We'll show you the way to the seventh dimension

Alert moderator

Edited by - Riddler on 2009/10/22 07:49:57

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.64 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page