Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Turntables & Serato

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Yateszy

United Kingdom
82 posts
Posted - 2009/08/13 :  16:04:30  Show profile Send a private message
Hi all,

I was firstly considering getting CDJ's because I can use MP3's which is cheaper than buying vinyl records, but I heard you can get something like virtual vinyl where the turntable plugs into the PC and you can get the mp3 onto the virtual vinyl on a turntable. How can I do this and which turntables support it?

Also can I use serato to convert vinyl's into MP3 files, if so do I need a turntable with a USB port or just a mixer with one? I was considering getting the Stanton ST150 Digital Direct Drive Turntable, so can someone please explain all this?

Ps - I would get CDJ's but they cost too much compared to turntables.

Alert moderator
TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2009/08/17 :  19:15:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage
I'm positive all turntables are supported.

Your turntables, and mixer, plug into a box that looks like this.

And that plugs into your computer/laptop.

You install the software, etc. And you're able to play audio files from your computer, and control it via your mixer and turntables like you where playing real vinyl.

In terms of everything else, like what features it supports, I couldn't tell you. Don't have it myself.

The Past, The Present, The Future (CD One)
The Past, The Present, The Future (CD Two)

Alert moderator Go to top of page
frozt

United States
372 posts
frozt has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/08/17 :  19:18:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit frozt's homepage
I'm thinking about going the same route you are Yateszy.
I really want to go the mp3 route because it's cheaper but I also want to scratch and what not. I also heard good things about Traktor too. I'm just wondering what kind of turntables I would need because I don't want to spend too much but I don't want cheap as shizz.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2009/08/17 :  20:31:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
i'll be getting serato....just as soon as my wifes uni loan comes through :D

*edit*
actually heres a question - the guys who have it on here - how much did you pay for it?
im wondering what sort of deal i should be looking for..
i mean, im seeing brand new ones on ebay for £460 odd...and then others that are ending soon at like £260...

*edit again*
and what about price progression? anyone know what it started out at..and how quickly its gone down in price since its release?

Edited by - Triquatra on 2009/08/17 20:40:00
silver
Admin

Japan
12,562 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2009/08/18 :  03:43:51  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
The only issue with was that you have to lug your equipment to gigs as no clubs or very very minimal will have a Serato setup... bedroom DJ eat your heart out of course, not saying don't get it just want to give you all the facts as it just makes DJing out harder.

frozt

United States
372 posts
frozt has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/08/18 :  03:47:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit frozt's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
The only issue with was that you have to lug your equipment to gigs as no clubs or very very minimal will have a Serato setup... bedroom DJ eat your heart out of course, not saying don't get it just want to give you all the facts as it just makes DJing out harder.

I saw on one of you mix vids on youtube someone commented that you should stop using your CDJs because of the new Serato crazy and I love how you came back by saying CDJs don't crash and need rebooting. :p

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2009/08/18 :  08:42:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
some good points there - honestly i had never considered taking them to clubs to DJ out..it was always more for personal use or perhaps if i threw a party or DJed my own event
(when i can be bothered i would like to set somthing up)

i know how to use CDJ's (and of course turntables haha) so i just figured throw the MP3's ive bought onto SD or CD and take them to clubs just like everyone else does.
from what i read and am seeing, im not going to get any closer to vinyl emulation than actual timecoded vinyl.

of course oneday when i have the space i would like to get CDJ's as well...(unger the guise of "their for my son!")
the plan is to subtly get oliver hooked on music and vinyl...then have him whine and moan at mum for vinyl and equipment

evil laugh

the plan is to continue buying vinyl that is pre (older than) 2003/4, then after that just mp3

a bit like blu ray really - pointless buying films that werent filmed in high def in the first place and paying the extra for blueray, but films that are new that were filmed in high def might as well be bought as bluray! hense why im happy to buy dvds that are older still, but am holding off buying new films until bluray dvds and players come down in price!

any thoughts on the whole price thing anyone?

Edited by - Triquatra on 2009/08/18 08:51:34
Sendaii

United Kingdom
80 posts
Posted - 2009/08/20 :  20:51:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sendaii's homepage
quote:

Personally, I'd rather lug a Serato kit and a 1TB hard drive to a club than a vinyl collection sizable enough to last the length of my set.

Hardcore | Hardstyle | Jumpstyle

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2009/08/20 :  21:42:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
im guessing not too many people have serato then considering the rush to answer my questions ;)

TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2009/08/20 :  22:18:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage
Your best, and most obvious, answers are with Ravine.

Because he's the only person I know that uses it, and says he uses it.

__CMC__
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
593 posts
Posted - 2009/08/20 :  22:50:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit __CMC__'s homepage
quote:

The Serato unit and my macbook weighs at lots less than a handfull of records or even a cd folder which would only hold a small selection of my music

quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
i'll be getting serato....just as soon as my wifes uni loan comes through :D

*edit*
actually heres a question - the guys who have it on here - how much did you pay for it?
im wondering what sort of deal i should be looking for..
i mean, im seeing brand new ones on ebay for £460 odd...and then others that are ending soon at like £260...

*edit again*
and what about price progression? anyone know what it started out at..and how quickly its gone down in price since its release?

Are you refering to the SSL1 or the SSL3? For the SSL £460 is way to much for it, i paid approx £300 for it years ago. I found a retailer in the USA that sent it to me saved me well over £100. Sam Ash, guitar centre etc don't like send oversea's but if you hit up the smaller shops you will get 1.

Any more info you want? I've been using it for years as stated i should be able to help out:)

quote:
Originally posted by TheOneNOnly:
Your best, and most obvious, answers are with Ravine.

Because he's the only person I know that uses it, and says he uses it.

Wow!!!! Do you go to any clubs? Last time i was over there every club i was in the dj was using serato

TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2009/08/20 :  23:52:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by __CMC__:
Wow!!!! Do you go to any clubs? Last time i was over there every club i was in the dj was using serato

No because all clubs play music I'd rather not listen too.

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2009/08/21 :  00:14:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah I use Timecode and it's all fine.

I use my CDJ-800s for mixing and one of the TTs with a timecode vinyl, where I play a selfmade/custom mp3 file with chosen samples for scratching, also if there's a release that doesn't come out digitally I just buy it on vinyl and if I want I can mix 4 digital tracks on 4 decks so.. it's all fine.

I'm planing to get 2 timecode CDs for the CDJs now :)

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2009/08/21 :  07:35:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
that doesnt answer any of my questions lol

__CMC__
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
593 posts
Posted - 2009/08/21 :  13:06:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit __CMC__'s homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
that doesnt answer any of my questions lol

You asked about price i think i help you on that, no??

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2009/08/21 :  13:18:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
lol, i dont know how i managed to miss that post! thankyou!

i had no idea there were different versions of it, looks like im going to have to research a lil deeper

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.8 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page