of 4

Author Thread  
mark-ireland
Advanced Member

Ireland
1,667 posts

17 hardcore releases
mark-ireland has attended 4 events
Posted - 2004/08/25 :  23:22:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit mark-ireland's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
yet i get the impression your turnin your nose up at the idea of "dancin in a field" ??

No not at all I said there was nothing wrong with it.

quote:
no rules no regulations no arseholes looking for fights .. its an amazing atmosphere ...

It was the exact same at hardcore nation every single person there was sound.

quote:
but dont moan about no hardcorein ireland .. then turnin your nose up at illegal raves

Thats ******** when did i ever turn my nose up at illegal raves? If it was held on a beach it would be better not in the middle of somewhere that i havent a ****ing clue how do get to.

quote:
y not be bold and get some one like kev energy over instead of "old skool" dj's!!!

The first rave we get going you have something bad to say about it how about saying well done lads or just saying nothing at all. And as for oldskool i love oldskool and its the first one there will be new skool in a while.
------------------------------
We will not compromise quality for popularity amongst the minority.

http://downloads.imorecords.com/label/?id=270

http://www.irishclubbing.net

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - mark-ireland on 2004/08/25 23:24:59
NuFoundation

Ireland
495 posts

18 hardcore releases
NuFoundation is verified hardcore artist NuFoundation has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/08/25 :  23:27:17  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit NuFoundation's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtommyrenegade:
y not be bold and get some one like kev energy over instead of "old skool" dj's!!!

quote:
but dont moan about no hardcorein ireland .. then turnin your nose up at illegal raves

Anyone see a contradiction?

Basically, you're saying that there are *better things* out there than Old Skool DJs, correct? All Mark said was there are *better things* out there than Illegal Raves.

http://www.geocities.com/polyphonictones/ - FREE Hardcore & Trance Polyphonic tones.

ihaveacomputerlol
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 posts
Posted - 2004/08/26 :  01:33:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Nothing *better* than a rave, just different.
We all love a variety in nights out, and it aint like we get enough hardcore nights to have to start saying one's better than the other.

As for booking old skool DJs... I got a strong worded lecture about this recently, was told "**** them, they had their day, they have NO right to be flying the hardcore flag anymore"... and I'd agree, I get a bit annoyed at hardcore being held back/defined by its older self... but the way I saw it, I ran the night I wanted to run... you lads want old skool, fair play for getting it on the go!

I think Tommy was objecting to this:

quote:
Because adults and that dont like raving in fields when theres a proper venue available.
And the fact is theres not enough well established djs in ireland if there was you wouldnt need to rave in a field not that theres anything wrong with it just if your serious you need a proper venue and brilliant djs and good crowd.

Party people don't give a ****, the venue means nowt. And having Wilderness outdoors had a really great feel to it... drizzle hitting your face, fresh air, warm fire, sun rising... beats sticky carpets and smokey, artificially lit darkness in my opinion.

You think we're not serious? Most of the people at Wilderness have run or seriously tried to run nights in venues in the past year.

Anyhow... hope to hear about your nights in the future, and maybe see some of you Wilderness 2: Re-Horseboxed

mark-ireland
Advanced Member

Ireland
1,667 posts

17 hardcore releases
mark-ireland has attended 4 events
Posted - 2004/08/26 :  15:25:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit mark-ireland's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
was told "**** them, they had their day, they have NO right to be flying the hardcore flag anymore"... and I'd agree,

No way their still legends imo.

------------------------------
We will not compromise quality for popularity amongst the minority.

http://downloads.imorecords.com/label/?id=270

http://www.irishclubbing.net

NuFoundation

Ireland
495 posts

18 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/08/26 :  17:47:28  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit NuFoundation's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by ihaveacomputerlol:
As for booking old skool DJs... I got a strong worded lecture about this recently, was told "**** them, they had their day, they have NO right to be flying the hardcore flag anymore

Of course they have a right, that's like saying that up-and-coming DJs have no right to fly the flag because they have no experience with the genre. The Oldskool DJs have given so much to the scene in the past, and they still have plenty left. It would be fair enough if you'd said "Don't book them because nobody's interested in the music anymore". But to say that have "no right" is just wrong.

http://www.geocities.com/polyphonictones/ - FREE Hardcore & Trance Polyphonic tones.

ihaveacomputerlol
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 posts
Posted - 2004/08/26 :  23:09:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
"Flying the flag" means being at the forefront of the scene.
You can't do this if you're playing old skool.
It aint about "having a right", it's simply not possible to say you represent hardcore while playing 10 year old tracks.

NuFoundation

Ireland
495 posts

18 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/08/26 :  23:18:13  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit NuFoundation's homepage  Reply with quote
I don't agree with your points. There are a lot of people out there who are into the Old Skool stuff still. Who cares if they're not exactly at the front of the scene. There are many amazing DJs out there who aren't. And your initial point was that it's a bad idea to book Old Skool DJs, and I disagree. If the demand is there, fulfill it. Judging by Hardcore Nation, the demand is there. They have talent, people want to see it, simple as that.

ihaveacomputerlol
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 posts
Posted - 2004/08/27 :  21:02:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
I don't agree with your points. There are a lot of people out there who are into the Old Skool stuff still. Who cares if they're not exactly at the front of the scene.

Please go back and read my last post. Which bit do you disagree with? You're only agreeing that old skool isn't the forefront of the scene.

quote:
And your initial point was that it's a bad idea to book Old Skool DJs, and I disagree.

Also, could you quote exactly where I posted this? I don't remember saying it was a bad idea to book old skool DJs.

mr bishi
Advanced Member

Ireland
874 posts

49 hardcore releases
mr bishi has attended 16 events
Posted - 2004/08/27 :  21:44:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Oldskool or new school just as long as it is hardcore and the vibe is there ill be loving it.
I would love to see some Kev Energy playing in Ireland soon though.

Hell hath no fury like a hippo with a machine gun.

NuFoundation

Ireland
495 posts

18 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/08/27 :  22:36:38  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit NuFoundation's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Also, could you quote exactly where I posted this? I don't remember saying it was a bad idea to book old skool DJs.

I don't agree with your point that Old Skool DJs have had their day. You didn't say it was a bad dea in so many words, but you said "**** them, they've had their day", actually, you didn't say it, you said it was said to you and you agree with it.

ihaveacomputerlol
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 posts
Posted - 2004/08/28 :  03:00:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
I never said booking old skool DJs was a bad idea.

What I quoted was what was said to me because I (or, myself and some friends) had booked a DJ best known from "hardcore, back in the day"; and not best representative of hardcore today.
I didn't agree with him this far, because the night we ran was what we wanted to do and we bloody well enjoyed it, same as you fellas.
I was actually a bit annoyed because he was kinda crapping on my efforts and on one of my DJ'ing heros.

The bit I agreed with was that old skool DJs shouldn't be the flag-bearers of the scene. Especially if the area where you lived had a brief love affair with hardcore and is now collectively embarrassed by the memories of puffy jackets and wanky mixtapes of 1994.
You tell them "hardcore's changed!" And they don't believe you. It's still the same 10-20 big names in the UK hardcore scene getting rotated... and composition wise it's still 3-note alpha synth lines; handclaps on even beats; and one of the same well-known breaks looped raw, no work done to it.
I personally think hardcore should be moving in new directions... and as enjoyable as old skool nights are, they're not pushing new sounds to new ears... being really into hardcore, I feel an obligation to be doing this, personally.

We might have some more nights up North in the not too distant future... odds on that it will be an *old* name booked again. Am I being a hypocrite? Well, I hold no delusions to be pushing the scene or the sound; we'll be doing it because it's fun, and because it's easy (guaranteed heads through the door).
But I gotta agree with Tommy and my loud-mouthed friend... there's new names and new sounds deserving of hardcore... and I'll be feeling a little guilty while I bop around to "hardcore disco party", because if we won't book them, who will?

NuFoundation

Ireland
495 posts

18 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/08/28 :  03:07:36  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit NuFoundation's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

I was actually a bit annoyed because he was kinda crapping on my efforts and on one of my DJ'ing heros.

That's basically what I thought you were doing.

NuFoundation

Ireland
495 posts

18 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/08/28 :  03:08:42  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit NuFoundation's homepage  Reply with quote
I see that you're not now, so let's just let this thread close.

ihaveacomputerlol
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 posts
Posted - 2004/08/28 :  04:51:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
You see that I'm not now, what?

Wanna see a cat with a lime on its head?
Or a rabbit with a pancake on its head?

Edited by - ihaveacomputerlol on 2004/08/28 04:53:38
NuFoundation

Ireland
495 posts

18 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/08/28 :  11:03:14  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit NuFoundation's homepage  Reply with quote
I see that you're not crapping on one of my DJing heroes, which is what I thought you were doing at first. Misunderstanding.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.75 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page